The purpose of this position is to perform as a Massachusetts Registered Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic (EMT-P). To provide emergency medical care to the sick and injured when responding to calls for emergency medical services: all other related work is required.
- Supervision scope: Performs responsible duties requiring the exercise of considerable judgment in daily department operations.
- Supervision Received: Works under the direction of the ALS Coordinator.
- Supervision Given: Has supervisory responsibly over full-time and part-time Basics and Intermediates. The EMT Paramedic has supervision over all other ambulance personnel on an emergency scene involving patient care.
- Emergency response work is performed primarily in vehicles and at outdoor settings under variable weather conditions, where the employee may be exposed to medical hazards, communicable diseases, and caustic chemicals. The noise level is usually loud on an emergency scene; most work is performed in emergency and stressful situations.
- Regularly operates motor vehicle, hand tools and all standard medical equipment.
- Has access to and dispenses medications including controlled substances. A 100% degree of accuracy is required.
- Makes frequent contacts that require perceptiveness and discretion with the general public, venders, and hospital staff.
- Has access to highly sensitive confidential information such as personal information about citizens and patient medical records, which require the application of appropriate judgment, discretion and professional protocols.
- Errors could endanger persons, cause considerable delay and confusion, and have serious financial and/or legal repercussions for this Company.
- The essential function or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment the position.
- Performs ambulance maintenance, equipment maintenance, building maintenance and maintenance of radio equipment. Stocks ambulances with medical supplies, performs daily inventory of supplies. Is responsible for stock and supply of all ALS medications onboard the ambulances.
- Responds to ambulance calls during regular scheduled shift. Provides basic and advanced life support emergency medical care to the sick and injured. Assesses situation and determines the best mode of treatment for specific injuries and illness (Per OEMS Protocol). Communicates information to patients and families in emergency situations. Lifts and transports patients.
- Regularly has to rapidly calculate drug doses and perform drug therapy on patients and does invasive procedures under adverse conditions.
- Works under Medical control to perform medical procedures in emergency situations.
- Communicates with local hospitals, transferring patient records to the emergency department staff; follows up with emergency room staff.
- Attends training seminars and maintains currant certifications.
- Regular attendance and punctuality at the work place is required.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
- Knowledge: Thorough knowledge of the principle and practices of emergency medical services and approved methods and procedures.
- Ability: Proven ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing. Ability to respond accurately and professionally during stressful and emergency situations. Aptitude and attention for detail and accuracy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear; must be able to manipulate and reach objects, tools, or controls. Performance of the essential functions may also require employee to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. On occasion will be required to lift/move objects that may weigh up to 175 pounds. Physical agility required accessing all areas of emergency sites and buildings, and traversing uneven terrain. Vision and hearing at or correctable to normal ranges. Must be able to detect odors.
Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Certification as an Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- CPR for the professional rescuer.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification. ( ACLS)
- Possession of a valid Massachusetts motor vehicle license.